E X P L O R I N G T H E B O O K O F E N O C H
T H E W A T C H E R S S T U D Y G U I D E
ENOCH WHOSE WHO_________________________________________
And Cain knew his wife; and she conceived, and bare Enoch: and he builded a city, and called the name of the city, after the name of his son, Enoch.  And unto Enoch was born Irad: and Irad begat Mehujael: and Mehujael begat Methusael: and Methusael begat Lamech.
1. Here we see the lineage of Enoch beginning. This Enoch was the third from Adam on Cain’s side.
a. Meaning, Adam was his grandfather.
b. But, this is not the Enoch that we will be studying.
2. Notice that his father built a city and named it ‘Enoch.’
3. This was the first city to be built by man on earth since the destruction of the pre-Adamic race.
a. The civilization that existed before Adam and Eve.
23 I beheld the earth, and, lo, it was without form, and void; and the heavens, and they had no light. 24 I beheld the mountains, and, lo, they trembled, and all the hills moved lightly. 25 I beheld, and, lo, there was no man, and all the birds of the heavens were fled. 26 I beheld, and, lo, the fruitful place was a wilderness, and all the cities thereof were broken down at the presence of the LORD, and by his fierce anger.
4. Another city was already in existence at that time. Eden.
And the Lord God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there he put the man whom he had formed.
5. God’s garden was eastward of Eden.
a. Eden was Lucifer’s city. ( stay with me on this…….)
Moreover the word of the Lord came unto me, saying,  Son of man, take up a lamentation upon the king of Tyrus, and say unto him, Thus saith the Lord God; Thou sealest up the sum, full of wisdom, and perfect in beauty.
6. This is the law of double reference coming into play. The best example of this is when Jesus said to Peter “ Get thee behind me satan….”
a. Peter was not satan but was referred to him because of his actions.
b. Here, the king of Tyrus would represent Lucifer.
Thou hast been in Eden the garden of God; every precious stone was thy covering, the sardius, topaz, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold: the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created.
7. The king of Tyrus, being a man, was not around when Eden could be found on this planet.
a. According to the historian Josephus, he was a man named Ithobalus II.
b. He had such pride that he even claimed to be God and exalted his heart as the heart of God making a suitable picture of the coming antichrist who will likewise exalt himself and claim to be God.
c. satan ruled the king of Tyre, as proved by his association of Lucifer, just like Satan will also rule through antichrist.
d. Historically, Jezebel came from this bloodline.
e. Notice it calls Eden God’s garden.
Thou art the anointed cherub that covereth; and I have set thee so: thou wast upon the holy mountain of God; thou hast walked up and down in the midst of the stones of fire.
8. Notice, it switches from talking to the king of Tyrus to an anointed cherub.
a. A cherub means a covering angel.
b. No man has ever turned into an angel that we know of…….yet.
Thou wast perfect in thy ways from the day that thou wast created, till iniquity was found in thee.  By the multitude of thy merchandise they have filled the midst of thee with violence, and thou hast sinned: therefore I will cast thee as profane out of the mountain of God: and I will destroy thee, O covering cherub, from the midst of the stones of fire.  Thine heart was lifted up because of thy beauty, thou hast corrupted thy wisdom by reason of thy brightness: I will cast thee to the ground, I will lay thee before kings, that they may behold thee.
9. So, most would agree that this is Lucifer.
a. Let’s validate this claim by asking what Lucifer did to his city.
I beheld the earth, and, lo, it was without form, and void; and the heavens, and they had no light.  I beheld the mountains, and, lo, they trembled, and all the hills moved lightly.  I beheld, and, lo, there was no man, and all the birds of the heavens were fled.  I beheld, and, lo, the fruitful place was a wilderness, and all the cities thereof were broken down at the presence of the Lord, and by his fierce anger.  For thus hath the Lord said, The whole land shall be desolate; yet will I not make a full end.  For this shall the earth mourn, and the heavens above be black: because I have spoken it, I have purposed it, and will not repent, neither will I turn back from it.
10. Verse 23 shows us….
And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
11. There was no man as of yet.
a. So this is a reference to the pre-Adamic race, the civilizations that lived before Adam and Eve.
How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!
12. Obviously, Lucifer ran this “ first earth “ into the ground because this is referring to Lucifers fall.
a. We know this had to have happened before he was found in Eden deceiving Eve
For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north:  I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High.  Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit.  They that see thee shall narrowly look upon thee, and consider thee, saying, Is this the man that made the earth to tremble, that did shake kingdoms;
13. Notice, Lucifer impacted different kingdoms existent at that time.
a. These kingdoms probably explain the wonders of the world that man is still trying to figure out on how they were built.
That made the world as a wilderness, and destroyed the cities thereof; that opened not the house of his prisoners?
14. Lucifer made the world, not just Eden, a wilderness.
a. Which brought on the first flood, Lucifer’s flood that we see in Genesis 1.
b. Noah’s flood is the second flood mentioned in the bible.
c. In Lucifers flood, God destroyed everything including aquatic life and started from scratch,
d. In Noah’s flood, God preserved His creation, including the aquatic life.
All the kings of the nations, even all of them, lie in glory, every one in his own house.  But thou art cast out of thy grave like an abominable branch, and as the raiment of those that are slain, thrust through with a sword, that go down to the stones of the pit; as a carcase trodden under feet.  Thou shalt not be joined with them in burial, because thou hast destroyed thy land, and slain thy people: the seed of evildoers shall never be renowned.  Prepare slaughter for his children for the iniquity of their fathers; that they do not rise, nor possess the land, nor fill the face of the world with cities.
15. Notice verse 20 “ Thou shalt not be joined with them in burial, because thou hast destroyed thy land, and slain thy people: the seed of evildoers shall never be renowned. “
a. Lucifer was not destroyed with the world that then was.
b. He destroyed ‘ his “ ( thy ) land.
c. He destroyed “ his “ ( thy ) people.
d. And, there wont be any physical / archeological trace left of their existence ( shall never be renowned )
16. Notice verse 21 “ Prepare slaughter for his children for the iniquity of their athers; that they do not rise, nor possess the land, nor fill theface of the world with cities. “
17. This is a reference to…
There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.
18. Let’s break it down :
a. Prepare slaughter for his children – this refers to the giants that were born to satan’s angels before and after the flood.
b. the iniquity of their fathers – is a reference to angels having sex with women.
c. that they do not rise – which we will learn as to why in the Book of Enoch.
d. nor possess the land – referring prophetically to the children of Israel driving out the giants out of the land God promised them.
e. nor fill the face of the world with cities – so we see that these angels and giants built and dwelt in cities.
19. Getting back on track then, the city of Enoch was the first one built by mankind. So man started to build fortified cities; invented musical instruments; made songs; danced; forged weapons from brass and iron; set boundaries around lands; and invented weights and measures.
20. Under Cain’s leadership as “mayor” of the first city, it reveals the wickedness of the times.
a. They also lived wicked, lustful lives until judgment had to come.
b. But this Enoch, the son of Cain is not the one who we are studying about.
21. So one can easily see that there are two men named Enoch mentioned in the bible.
a. The first Enoch mentioned was third from Adam in Cain’s lineage.
b. The second Enoch was of Seth’s line who was the seventh from Adam.
c. It almost makes one wonder if the enemy, satan, endeavored to have a ‘counterfeit’ Enoch walking the earth so as to bring confusion whenever possible and by any means possible.
And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these, saying, Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints,
22. Here we see another Enoch being born to a man named Jared.
a. This Enoch is the seventh from Adam.
And Jared lived an hundred sixty and two years, and he begat Enoch:  And Jared lived after he begat Enoch eight hundred years, and begat sons and daughters:
Which was the son of Mathusala, which was the son of Enoch, which was the son of Jared, which was the son of Maleleel, which was the son of Cainan,
22. So we see a second Enoch being born to mankind.
And Enoch lived sixty and five years, and begat Methuselah:  And Enoch walked with God after he begat Methuselah three hundred years, and begat sons and daughters:  And all the days of Enoch were three hundred sixty and five years:  And Enoch walked with God: and he was not; for God took him.
23. This man named Enoch lived on earth for 365 years before God raptured him out.
By faith Enoch was translated that he should not see death; and was not found, because God had translated him: for before his translation he had this testimony, that he pleased God.
24. He was raptured into the presence of God because he pleased God.
Second, We Must Ask, Why Is The Book Of Enoch Not In Our Bible ?____
25. Even though the Book of Enoch is not recognized as a canonical book, at the closing of the 2nd century B.C. and during the 1st century B.C. the Book of Enoch was considered to be part of the inspired Word of God.
a. Old testament patriarchs, prophets, new testament apostles and Jesus Himself can be witnessed as quoting out of the Book of Enoch.
b. Jude, the half brother of Jesus Christ in the 1st century A.D. is still found quoting Enoch chapter 2.
c. In the 2nd century A.D. in the Epistle of Barnabas ( 16:5 ) it is still recognized as inspired by God.
d. In the 3rd century, our early church fathers Irenaeus and Clement give accreditation to the Book of Enoch.
e. It was later declared heretical and unlawful in 4 A.D. by Julius Africanus because of it’s elaborate descriptions of heaven because of Enoch’s visits to heaven and the descriptions of time and the calendar, the citations of angels and demonology, conflicting views began to surface.
f. So it became more difficult for the early church fathers that helped constitute our bible as we have it today to accept.
g. Owning a copy was now punishable by death.
h. After the 3rd century, the Book of Enoch fell off the shelf and gradually fell out of sight.
Third, We Must Ask, How Is The Book Of Enoch Divided ?
26. The Book of Enoch is divided into six different parts:
a. Book 1 The Watchers
b. Book 2 The Parables
c. Book 3 Astronomy
d. Book 4 Dreams
e. Book 5 Epistle of Enoch
f. Book 6 The Fragments of the Book of Noah
27. Some find it hard to accept because it reads more like a science fiction fantasy novel and because of the symbolism and allegories contained therein.
28. So now only you must decide whether you deem the Book Of Enoch to be a source of reference that you can trust.
a. But if Jesus Himself, old and new testament patriarchs, prophets and disciples can quote from the Book of Enoch, then it would be well said that we are in good company.
29. For our studies in this book, I will be using The Book of the Secrets of Enoch (also referred to as “Slavonic Enoch” or “2 Enoch”).
a. Translated from the Ethiopian by R.H. Charles, 1906.
b. Now, let’s begin to explore…….