1. Daniel is having a vision.
Daniel 2:43 (KJV)
And whereas thou sawest iron mixed with miry clay, they shall mingle themselves with the seed of men: but they shall not cleave one to another, even as iron is not mixed with clay.
2. The term “miry clay” refers to clay made from dust.
a. which we were made of
b. it also symbolizes death
3. During the time frame when the antichrist comes onto the scene, an unexplained event will take place.
4. Notice the phrase they shall mingle themselves with the seed of men.
with the seed of men – shows that these are not humans at all
5. Since the Bible always interprets itself, we must ask:
a. at what other time did an event like this occur
Genesis 6:4 (KJV)
There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.
6. Here we see that angels (the sons of God) mingled their seed with the daughters of men.
7. Let’s validate.
Jude 1:6 (KJV)
And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day.
8. So the subject matter is angels.
Jude 1:7 (KJV)
Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.
9. What was their crime?
a. like Sodom and Gomorrah, they became fornicators…going after strange flesh
b. what would be strange flesh to an angelic being
1 Corinthians 15:40 (KJV)
There are also celestial bodies, and bodies terrestrial: but the glory of the celestial is one, and the glory of the terrestrial is another.
10. So to an angel, a celestial being, having sex with a terrestrial being would be called strange.
11. So, according to Daniel’s vision, this angelic incursion will happen during the time of the antichrist coming into power.
a. and most believers are aware of this
b. but there is another angelic incursion that will take place on the day of judgment
c. so let’s take another look at the ones that Daniel called ‘they’
d. The prophet Joel also talks about an unidentified group called ‘they’
Joel 2:1 (KJV)
Blow ye the trumpet in Zion, and sound an alarm in my holy mountain: let all the inhabitants of the land tremble: for the day of the LORD cometh, for it is nigh at hand;
12. Blowing the trumpet in this verse means that it is a call to war.
13. This is referring to the end times.
a. day of the Lord is a reference to the Battle of Armageddon
Joel 2:2 (KJV)
A day of darkness and of gloominess, a day of clouds and of thick darkness, as the morning spread upon the mountains: a great people and a strong; there hath not been ever the like, neither shall be any more after it, even to the years of many generations.
14. Notice the conditions:
day of darkness – Hb – hoshek – figuratively meaning misery, destruction, death, ignorance, sorrow, wickedness :- dark (-ness), night, obscurity
(day) of gloominess – Hb – apela – figuratively, a time of misfortune; concretely it means concealment
a day of clouds – Hb – anan – the under clouds (storm clouds)
(day) of thick darkness – Hb – arapel – symbolizing the cloud lowering themselves to the ground
15. All of this is transpiring for the next event that has never taken place on this planet before.
Joel 2:2 (KJV)
… as the morning spread upon the mountains: a great people and a strong; there hath not been ever the like, neither shall be any more after it, even to the years of many generations.
16. Like the sun crossing across the horizon, a ‘people’ that the world has never seen before will appear.
a. do they come out of the thick clouds
b. is their presence the source of gloominess
17. They are identified as a great people and a strong.
great – Hb – rab – meaning here ‘in abundance, overwhelming number of’
people – Hb – am – specifically a tribe
– collectively, troops or attendants (a colective)
– figuratively, a flock, folks, men or nation
strong – Hb – asum – powerful and numerous
18. And here is what is so peculiar…there hath not been ever the like, neither shall be any more after it, even to the years of many generations.
19. This is referring to supernatural entities that will be loosed upon the earth like in Rev. 9.
Joel 2:3 (KJV)
A fire devoureth before them; and behind them a flame burneth: the land is as the garden of Eden before them, and behind them a desolate wilderness; yea, and nothing shall escape them.
20. There are flames in front and behind them.
a. fire is their weapon of choice
21. As they advance:
a the destruction they cause will be to them as if they were in Eden
b. meaning whatever they are destroying seems to be meeting their needs
c. nothing shall escape them
d. this sounds like they are harvesting the planet
e. is this a reference to how the world was made chaotic in Genesis 2
Joel 2:4 (KJV)
The appearance of them is as the appearance of horses; and as horsemen, so shall they run.
22. We read this with our mind frame of today and conclude, ‘OK, dudes on horses ’…..but…
horses – Hb – soos – meaning to skip (properly for joy)
a. a horse (as leaping)
b. also a swallow (from its rapid flight)
c. leaping like a crane or a horse ([-back, -hoof])
23. So this is actually describing how they move or travel.
a. they appear to be skipping, darting back and forth
horsemen – Hb – parash – a steed (as stretched out to a vehicle, not single nor for mounting
a. meaning that they will have some type of vehicle designed to carry more than one occupant
– it is also defined (by implication) as a driver (in a chariot)
– (collectively) as cavalry of horseman
24. This gives the impression that they are a mobile army.
run – Hb – rus – to move hastily through a post
15. This gives us the impression that they will just plow through their opposition.
a. remember that this will all be taking place in one day, the day of the Lord
Joel 2:5 (KJV)
Like the noise of chariots on the tops of mountains shall they leap, like the noise of a flame of fire that devoureth the stubble, as a strong people set in battle array.
26. This verse validates everything we just defined.
27. We also see that sound will be made by their movement. Like the noise of
a. chariots on the tops of mountains shall they leap
leap – Hb – raqad – to spring about, to skip
Joel 2:5 (NLT)
Look at them as they leap along the mountaintops. Listen to the noise they make—like the rumbling of chariots, like the roar of fire sweeping across a field of stubble, or like a mighty army moving into battle.
b. a flame of fire that devoureth the stubble
Joel 2:5 (MSG)
It sounds like thunder leaping on mountain ridges, Or like the roar of wildfire through grass and brush, Or like an invincible army shouting for blood, ready to fight, straining at the bit.
28. Notice the emphasis again on as a strong people set in battle array.
a. meaning an overwhelming number ready for battle
Joel 2:6 (KJV)
Before their face the people shall be much pained: all faces shall gather blackness.
129. These unidentified entities are here to fight mankind.
a. again, this is referring to the Battle of Armageddon when the armies of the world will surround Israel (the day of the Lord)
30. Their appearance will have an unusual psychological reaction.
pained – Hb – hil – to twist or whirl (in a circular or spiral manner)
a. is this a sign of possession or seizures
– to writhe in pain or fear
– shake, shapen, (be) sorrow
– to tremble or become wounded
b. we see this in the New Testament
Mark 9:17-18 (NLT)
17 One of the men in the crowd spoke up and said, “Teacher, I brought my son so you could heal him. He is possessed by an evil spirit that won’t let him talk. 18 And whenever this spirit seizes him, it throws him violently to the ground. Then he foams at the mouth and grinds his teeth and becomes rigid. So I asked your disciples to cast out the evil spirit, but they couldn’t do it.”
Joel 2:7 (KJV)
They shall run like mighty men; they shall climb the wall like men of war; and they shall march every one on his ways, and they shall not break their ranks:
mighty men – Hb – gibbor – powerful; by implication warrior, champion
– chief , tyrant – a giant – strong (man)
31. Is there a particular wall that is holding them back at this time or is this in the generic sense.
32. If they are giants, this would explain THE VISION WHICH ESAIAS SON OF AMOS SAW AGAINST BABYLON in Isaiah 13 in the Septuagint.
Isaiah 3 1-3 (Sep)
Lift up a standard on the mountain of the plain, exalt the voice to them, beckon with the hand, open the gates, ye rulers. I give command, and I bring them: giants are coming to fulfil my wrath, rejoicing at the same time and insulting. A voice of many nations on the mountains, even like to that of many nations; a voice of kings and nations gathered together: the Lord of hosts has given command to a war-like nation, to come from a land afar off, from the utmost foundation of heaven; the Lord and his warriors are coming to destroy all the world.
33. This is where you would have to draw our own conclusions.
Joel 2:7 (NLT)
The attackers march like warriors and scale city walls like soldiers. Straight forward they march, never breaking rank.
34. Whatever their identity, they are here for war.
Joel 2:7 (MSG)
The invaders charge. They climb barricades. Nothing stops them. Each soldier does what he’s told, so disciplined, so determined.
35. We also see the intensity of this war since they will not break ranks.
a. here we get an insight to angelic warfare as well as te giants
Joel 2:8 (KJV)
Neither shall one thrust another; they shall walk every one in his path: and when they fall upon the sword, they shall not be wounded.
thrust – Hb – dahaq – to vex
36. This gives the impression that there used to be some kind of fighting or
harassment amongst themselves at one time.
37. They will be invulnerable to the weapons of mankind.
a. the next verse is very unusual
Joel 2:9 (KJV)
They shall run to and fro in the city; they shall run upon the wall, they shall climb up upon the houses; they shall enter in at the windows like a thief.
38. Notice, these supernatural entities:
a. they dart back and forth
b. no barricade (wall) shall stop them
c. they will invade homes of mankind, even through our windows like a thief
d. alien abductions are described as going through windows
Joel 2:9 (NLT)
They swarm over the city and run along its walls. They enter all the houses, climbing like thieves through the windows. Thieves usually come to steal or take away something valuable.
39. If they can climb through windows, then they:
a. are not giants after all
b. or they are working with some other supernatural beings
Joel 2:9 (MSG)
They storm the city, swarm its defenses, Loot the houses, breaking down doors, smashing windows.
40. So we also see that this is not limited to the battlefield
a. this is urban warfare
Joel 2:10 (KJV)
The earth shall quake before them; the heavens shall tremble: the sun and the moon shall be dark, and the stars shall withdraw their shining:
41. By definition…Does the earth quake because:
a. of their vehicles
b. their sheer numbers
c. or because of their actual size
Joel 2:10 (NLT)
The earth quakes as they advance, and the heavens tremble. The sun and moon grow dark, and the stars no longer shine.
42. Their presence will either come under the guise of darkness or their vast numbers will darken the planet.
a. notice that the stars will no longer be shining
b. this is now also a cosmic warfare
Joel 2:11 (KJV)
And the LORD shall utter his voice before his army: for his camp is very great: for he is strong that executeth his word: for the day of the LORD is great and very terrible; and who can abide it?
43. God is using these unidentified beings to carry out His wrath.
a. make sure your not here for that
44. Here is what we do know about these supernatural beings:
#1. There have never before been any like them appearing on earth before.
#2. Nor will there be any like them again for many generations.
a. this would indicate the time at the end of the Millennium
b. satan and his army will appear on earth in an effort to take it over
c. at which time God will send this army of heaven against them
#3. A fire will devour before them.
#4. They will be leaping like horses or be in chariots.
a. zipping back and forth across the sky
#5. They will not be hurt even if they fall upon a sword.
#6. Different from men, they are able to:
a. climb walls
b. they will climb upon the houses
c. and enter into the windows like a thief
#7. They are the Lord’s army and He will be leading them personally.
a. His army is usually spoken of as the holy angels and the resurrected saints from heaven
b. but angels have been seen on this planet for thousands of years
45. ‘they’ an incursion is coming…soon!
Matthew 13:39 (KJV)
The enemy that sowed them is the devil; the harvest is the end of the world; and the reapers are the angels.